Skip to main content
International Student Services

Travel Information: J Students

Travel Reminders

Do not forget to have your DS-2019 signed by an ISS advisor in order for you to re-enter into the United States. Do not pack your documents in your suitcase. Carry them with you on the plane.

J-1 Scholars and Student Interns

In order to return to the United States after a visit abroad, J-1 scholars, student interns and their J-2 dependents must present:

  • a valid passport (valid six months into the future);
  • a valid J-1/J-2 visa stamped in the passport (certain exceptions apply); and
  • original Form DS-2019 with a travel signature from the program sponsor within the last year.

These signatures are valid for up to one year or until the end of your program, whichever is sooner. If your travel signature has expired or you did not receive one at orientation, bring your original Form DS-2019 to BYUH International Student Services office for a travel signature during working hours, Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm. Office closed for DEVOTIONALS, HOLIDAYS and weekends.

If your J-1 visa stamp in your passport has expired and you plan to travel outside the United States, you must return to a U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad to renew your J-1 visa (Exception: travel to Canada, Mexico and the adjacent islands, except Cuba, for stays of 30 days or less). J-1 visas cannot be renewed inside the United States. Exchange visitors should generally allow 2-8 weeks for processing. Consulates interview most visa applicants, so it is advisable to contact the Consulate for an appointment prior to finalizing travel plans.

Some scholars will also be subject to Security Advisory Opinions because of their country of origin, citizenship, field of study/research, or at the discretion of the Consular Officer. Security Advisory Opinions commonly take six to eight weeks but may take longer in some cases.