Change of Status Application from Within the U.S.
[ ] Access the Forms tab on USCIS for application and instructions. Access USCIS Form I-539 - you may apply online or download the application to submit it by mail. Please note that all USCIS forms provide instructions, which you should review prior to completing any application.
[ ] Gather and prepare the following documents on the checklist below – if you are married, include the same documentation for your spouse also, as well as for any dependent children included. If you choose to file online, then you will upload your evidence as instructed. If you choose to mail in your application, be sure to include all required documentation prior to mailing.
- Completed and signed USCIS Form I-539 application.
- Original and copy of your I-94 Arrival/Departure record.
- Copy of your passport, including visa page, passport number, expiration date, stamped pages, and photograph/biographical identification page.
- Copy of Form DS-2019 and/or Form I-20.
- Evidence of financial means of support.
- Personal, signed statement explaining why you are applying for a change of status.
- Copy of marriage record (if applicable).
- Check or Money Order for application fee, in the amount of $370 and $85 biometrics fee, if applicable, made out to: U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security / USCIS.
[ ] After gathering this material, consult with an ISS advisor on the specifics of your application regarding the status you are pursuing.
[ ] After the Change of Status is approved by USCIS, you must submit the approval notice to ISS to update your student record.
Change of Status by Travel and Re-entry Into the U.S.
[ ] Obtain an initial certificate of eligibility from International Student Services after meeting with an advisor to discuss the process and options available.
NOTE: If you are changing to a J visa, you will need an initial DS-2019. If you are changing to an F visa, you will need an initial I-20.
[ ] Leave the U.S., apply for a new visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy.
[ ] Reenter the U.S. with the new visa and initial certificate of eligibility.
[ ] Submit a copy of your new visa stamp and I-94 to ISS after arriving in the United States.