Skip to main content

Our Services

International Student Services is committed to supporting and assisting our exchange visitors and international students through informed advisement throughout the admissions process up until the completion of their program. In addition to general advising, we also host regular events, info-sessions, and workshops. See the table below for the advisement and services that we offer.

Services We Provide

Initial Processing
  • Issuing certificates of eligibility
  • New Student Orientation
  • New and returning students
Maintaining Status
  • Maintenance of accurate SEVIS records
  • Application of federal law and regulation to all situations
  • Validation and registration
Enrollment and Academics
  • Reduced course load authorization
  • Leave of absence or withdrawal
  • Discontinuance
  • Change of major
  • SEVIS transfer in
  • SEVIS transfer out
  • Extension of program end date
  • Other enrollment and academics questions
  • On-campus employment authorization
  • Job transfers and clearance forms
  • Optional practical training (OPT)
  • Curricular practical training
  • Pre-completion and post-completion academic training
  • Other employment questions
  • Department of State and USCIS correspondence
  • Travel authorization
  • Form I-515A
  • Status violation
  • Reinstatement
  • Other related questions
  • Guidance to helpful resources (see below)


ID card with a person icon and writing
For any questions regarding change of status, adjustment of status, or H-1 B visas, please refer to USCISor contact an attorney or an accredited representative for assistance with immigration questions or issues. We are not legal advice, but we are happy to lead you to the right resources that will help you best.

International Student Services can only provide general information and advice related to F-1 and J-1 Visas and maintaining status. If you need special assistance, please refer to the American Immigration Lawyers Association or Hawaii Lawyer Referral.


magnifying glass looking at a dollar sign
Learn more about your tax obligationsor join our tax hub on Canvas. Tax filing deadlines are set as follows:
  • Federal: April 18, 2023.
  • State (Hawaii): April 20, 2023.

Who must file tax forms for 2022 tax season?

If you were physically in the U.S. on F or J status anytime between January 1–December 31, 2022, you're obligated to file a Form 8843 with the IRS. The IRS, or Internal Revenue Service, is the U.S. government’s tax collection agency.

Additionally, if you earned more than $0 of taxable U.S. source income, you will need to file Form 1040-NR (not 1040—this is for resident alien or domestic tax filers, unless you qualify to file as a resident alien for tax purposes) with the IRS. Depending on your individual circumstances, you may also need to file a state tax return.

For any tax-related questions, please refer to any of the following resources for tax information and advice:
We at International Student Services are not able to provide tax advice about individual cases as we are not tax professionals. If you have additional questions regarding your tax obligations, please consult with Sprintax, whose 24/7 chat feature is available to you. Additionally, you may learn more information at IRS about international tax payers.