All exchange visitors (both J-1 principals & J-2 dependents) are required to have sickness and accident insurance and medical evacuation and repatriation insurance in effect for the duration of their exchange visitor status. 22 C.F.R. § 62.14
In compliance with immigration regulation 22 C.F.R. § 62.14, for J Exchange Visitors, BYU-Hawaii requires all enrolled students to show proof of Health Insurance Coverage (receipts, contracts etc.) to International Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will be eligible for Student Medical Benefits only if you are attending BYU-Hawaii on a full-time basis which means you are taking 12 or more credits.
- If you plan to do an Internship/Academic Training (AT) or Curricula Practical Training (CPT),you will be covered by the student medical benefit however you need to inform the SMB office to ensure duration of coverage.
- However if you have graduated and still have AT, OPT or CPT to do, you must use a Third Party Insurance. Below are the list of insurance companies who have the same type of coverage as the SMB.
- IF YOUR AT/OPT IS PARTIALLY HERE IN THE UNITED STATES AND IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY OR ANY OTHER COUNTRY, YOU MUST HAVE A THIRD PARTY INSURANCE TO COVER YOUR IN COUNTRY PORTION OF YOUR AT.
NOTE: You must present proof of your coverage to Beth Martin and to the International Student Services office.
- If you plan to apply for annual leave, you are required to enroll in the BYU-Hawaii Student Medical Benefit.
- If you plan to go back to your home country or another country for your Internship/AT or OPT, you need to submit a confirmed flight itinerary to Beth Martin for verification. email@example.com or 808-675-3512
Here are a few companies that you may contact to purchase Health Insurance:
|International Student Protection (ISP) -Trail Blazer
Select 'Brigham Young University-Hawaii' in the option to select you university.
||(877) 340-7910 www.americanvisitorinsurance.com Select J1 Visa under the ‘Compare Quotes’ on the top of the page.|
|ISO Student Health Insurance
Student Health Insurance
Please contact International Student Services for more information.