Skip to main content
International Student Services

F-1 Employment



  • "... employment ... must not exceed twenty hours a week while school is in session. An F-1 student may, however, work on campus full-time while school is not in session or during the annual vacation." Code of Federal Regulations (8CFR214,2(f)(9)(i)
  • Check with Student Employment about working during vacations and times school is not in session

Authorization Procedure

  • Go to Student Employment at LSN BLDG#5 or review the listed job openings online and secure a job.
  • How do I get hired?

How do I get a Social Security Number?

A Social Security Number (SSN) is:

  • a unique 9-digit U.S. government- issued number used for taxpayer identification, income reporting and record-keeping purposes
  • required before you may begin employment
  • valid for a lifetime--keep your SS card in a safe place

Application Procedure

  1. Obtain a written offer of employment from your employer.
  2. Bring the written offer to International Services to request a letter to the Social Security Administration (SSA) certifying that you are

    • are in good legal status,
    • are eligible to work and
    • have secured or have a promise of employment.
    • more
  3. Complete a Social Security number application.
  4. Take your International Services certification letter, employer offer letter, valid passport, visa, Form I-94, Form I-20 and completed application form to our local Social Security Administration (SSA) office located at:

US Social Security Administration
Rm 1-114 Federal Building
300 Alamoana Blvd
Honolulu, Hi 96850
Phone Number: 1-800-772-121
MTTF: 8:00am – 3:30pm Wed: 8:00am-11:30am

US Social Security Administration
970 Manawai St.Kapolei, Hi 96707
Phone Number: 1-800-772-1213
MTTHF: 8:30am – 2:30pm
Wed: 8:30-11:30am

You will be given a receipt that acts as a temporary card until your permanent card arrives.

As you may already know,

  • If you resided in the United States during 2015 for at least one day, you are required to submit tax Form 8843 by the June 15, 2016 deadline.
  • If you earned money in the United States during 2014, you are ALSO required to submit federal and likely state income tax forms by the April 15, 2016 deadline.

    • If you worked in Hawaii, you are required to complete and submit state tax forms.
    • If you worked in another state, you may be subject to that state's income tax laws--not every state has income taxes. You will have to contact the state to determine if you need to submit forms.

If you worked on campus:

  • BYU files Form 8233 with the IRS and keeps a copy for audit purposes.
  • BYU sends W-2 Forms to you if you are from a country not covered by a tax treaty.
  • If you are from Mexico, Japan, South Korea, or Canada, you have the option of claiming the tax treaty or filing an income tax return according to the information on your W-4.
  • You must renew Form 8233 at the Payroll Office every year during the month of December for the next calendar year.

We, at International Student Services are not tax experts and are not in a position to answer your tax questions. If you have additional questions regarding your tax obligations, we suggest that you utilize the following resources: