Skip to main content
International Student Services

J-1 to J-2

Student to Spouse of Student

To qualify to change from J-1 to J-2

-You must be the J-1 principal, your spouse whose status yours will be attendant to, must be in good status.

-Be in good legal standing with USCIS (must have maintained full-time status while in school) be a bona fide nonimmigrant and…

-The J-1 principal, your spouse whose status yours will be attendant to, must be in good status.

To apply, submit the following documents to International Services for review:

  1. Completed Form I-539 (Application for Change of Nonimmigrant Status)
  2. Form I-539 may be downloaded here and filled in by using your keyboard before printing or obtained from International Services.
  3. Copies of your passport pages including your visa, passport number and expiration date, and your picture.
  4. Departure Record—Form I-94—This small white card is usually stapled to your passport next to your visa.
  5. A photocopy of your spouse's current Form DS-2019
  6. New Form DS-2019 issued through International Services—Sign in the space at the bottom of page one.
  7. Proof of financial support for both you and your spouse
  8. A notarized copy of your marriage license or certificate—if this is not in English, it must be translated into the English language.
  9. Money Order or personal check for $370.00 made payable to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services—Cash is not accepted.
  10. (Optional) Personal statement explaining why the Change of Status (COS) is necessary
  11. After our document review and copies are made for your records, mail the documents listed above to: U.S. Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services California Service Center P.O. Box 10539 Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1053

General information for preparing application materials

It will take from 60-120 days to hear back from the CSC.

If approved, the CSC will return a new Form I-94 indicating your new status to the address indicated on your Form I-539 application. Make sure that if you move, you have your mail forwarded.

It is advised that you do not travel outside of the U.S. with a change of status application pending.

Note: International Services only changes your immigration status on school records after you provide us with the documented proof of the change.