Skip to main content


As an international student, you are responsible to know the regulations about travel and re-entry. BYUH is not responsible for any consequence due to non-compliance.

Please be aware of current COVID-19 travel restrictions and requirements.

Travel During Your Program

If you intend to travel abroad during your program, we would like to provide you with a couple reminders and travel tips. For information on travel to campus, please see the newly admitted students page.

Important Reminders

  • Initial students may not enter the U.S. more than 30 days before the program start date, as listed on their I-20 or DS-2019.
  • Travel is not recommended while other applications are pending (such as optional practical training (OPT) or academic training (AT)).  
  • If you exit the country while pending a response from USCIS regarding optional practical training, you may forfeit your eligibility and be unable to return to the United States. 

Required Documents 

  • A valid, unexpired passport.
  • A valid, unexpired student visa (except citizens of Canada and Bermuda).
  • A valid, unexpired Form I-20 or DS-2019 endorsed for reentry (travel signature) by a DSO/ARO.
  • You must request a travel signature from your ISS advisor prior to traveling.
  • If your dependent is traveling, they will need their original Form I-20 or DS-2019 in addition to a copy of the primary visa holder’s document.

Travel Inside The United States

Special permission is not required for travel within the United States. However, if you intend to travel off-island, we recommend that you bring the following documents with you:

  • Certificate of Eligibility  
  • Passport 
  • I-94 

Travel Outside The United States

You must have a valid travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019. This signature verifies that you are maintaining visa status and continue to be enrolled and in classes at the university. Travel signatures are valid for up to one year until the end of your program.

In order to return to the United States after a visit abroad, international students and their dependents must present all required documents, as listed above under “required documents”.

Any outside travel done during your program as a student or exchange visitor comes with risks. Please understand that it is the sole discretion of the CBP officer to allow you entry or re-entry into the United States after any period of absence.