Skip to main content

F-1 Student employment

On Campus Employment

Employment is defined as providing any type of work or services on either a part-time or full-time basis in exchange for money, tuition, books, supplies, housing, food, or any other benefit.

As an F-1 student, you may be employed on-campus under specific conditions. You may be eligible to work off-campus, only if it is an approved practical training experience under the following categories: CPT, OPT or STEM OPT. You must not engage in unauthorized employment. Failure to observe this requirement will place you out of status.


Check box
  • Must be in good academic standing. 
  • Must continue to engage in a full course of study--not required to be enrolled during annual leave. 


List icon
  • For F-1 students, employment is “incident to status.” This means that you are able to work in the United States because of your student status.  
  • As an international student, you must not work more than 19 hours. This is university policy, reinforced by the U.S. Department of State 20-hour work limit.
    • Going over hours is in violation of federal statute and will result in the termination of your SEVIS record and you will be required to return home.
  • Check with Human Resources about working during vacations and times school is not in session. 
  • Do not engage in unauthorized employment.

Authorization Procedure

Circle of arrows
  • In order to receive on-campus employment authorization, you must receive an offer letter and go through the necessary hiring procedure with Human Resources.  
  • You must report any change in employment to International Student Services within 10 days.  

Length of Employment

Clock and calendar icon
  • Permission to be employed expires upon 1) completion of a program of studies or ending of the period of lawful stay, whichever is earlier or 2) expiration of employment authorization as noted by USCIS or International Student Services.