Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions


  • All J-1 and F-1 students are required to provide proof of insurance for themselves and their dependents in order to maintain status. For coverage after April 18, 2020, full-time students may be able to sign up for the Student Medical Benefit (SMB) monthly medical benefit plan. Charges will be posted to your student account. Contact the Health Services for more information or to enroll in the monthly medical benefit at

  • You must continue your enrollment by taking online classes. This will help you continue making progress toward your degree. BYU–HAWAII has been advised that students taking online classes in the U.S. or in their home countries will maintain their "active status." Hopefully, this pandemic will pass and you will be able to return to campus for Fall 2020 or the next available semester. International Student Services will post any updates on the university website with instructions if COVID-19 results in you being away from campus for a longer period of time.

  • If your I-20 or DS-2019 is still valid and signed by an ISS advisor and your end date (graduation) is in the future, you can renew your visa at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Show your I-901 SEVIS fee receipt at your visa interview. You will not pay a new SEVIS fee. Look for the expiration date on visa stamp and contact ISS with questions.

  • As a condition of your visa, you are only authorized to be employed part-time on-campus (including PCC). Any violation of this requirement reported to International Student Services may result in the termination of your status. Questions about internships should be directed to the Hoʻokele Department's Career Services division. If you have an approved internship (CPT for F-1 or AT for J-1) you are authorized to work off-campus.

  • We encourage all students to follow campus news about COVID-19 through periodic updates posted on the university website. Also, watch for e-mail notices from International Student Services.

  • Graduating Students (IPF Travel Requests)

    All international students are required to pay the International Processing Fee (IPF) upon admittance to BYU–Hawaii. The IPF is placed in reserve for the student to claim in their final semester to return home upon graduation or AT /OPT completion. If the IPF is not claimed for travel within the students' grace period allowed by their visa, then it is forfeited.

    For graduating students, please complete the Travel Authorization Form and the IPF Travel Request Form and submit both forms through Email to You will receive a travel voucher by e-mail and will work directly with Travel Services to finalize your flight arrangements.

    You must also arrange with an ISS advisor to sign your DS-2019 or I-20 on the travel signature section of the form if you will be returning to campus for the next on-campus semester.

    Please be sure you have an unexpired passport (valid for at least six months) issued by your government for each person traveling abroad. Your student visa may be stamped in a new passport - carry both on your person and not in checked luggage. You must have a passport for each person accompanying you. Each child born in the United States must have their own US passport.

    Be sure to have a signed I-20 for each F-1 student and dependent(s) or a signed DS-2019 for each J-1 exchange.